[R] Plotting Ranges as Vertical Lines

Bret Collier bret at tamu.edu
Thu May 26 17:15:53 CEST 2005

R Users,
I have not been able to find anything close to what I want searching
R-help and I am hoping someone could point me in the right direction.

The data consists of differences in length of individual salamanders
collected at time of initial capture and last recapture (excerpt below).
 What I am trying to do is plot a vertical line for each individual (ID)
representing the change in size between initial capture (CAPTURESVL) and
last recapture (RECAPSVL) (the range of sizes would be on the y-axis),
hence vertical line length would be equal to GROWTH (which can be + or
-).  I would like to make this plot over the time between recaptures
(MONTHELAPSED) which would be on the x-axis.

       ID CAPMONTH CAPTURESVL CAPTUREMASSGR RECAPMONTH RECAPSVL
RECAPMASSGR GROWTH MASSGR MONTHELAPSED
1    SJC8        3         21           0.1         11       22
0.2      1    0.1            8
2    SJC9        3         33           0.7         13       35
0.9      2    0.2           10
3   SJC10        3         19           0.5          9       20
0.2      1   -0.3            6
4   SJC11        4         36           1.1         13       41
1.5      5    0.4            9
5   SJC12        4         19           0.1         15       28
0.4      9    0.3           11
6   SJC17        6         24           0.3         11       26
0.4      2    0.1            5
7   SJC18        6         43           1.1         24       43
1.8      0    0.7           18
8   SJC23        7         16           0.1         15       20
0.1      4    0.0            8
9   SJC24        7         22           0.5         22       40
1.9     18    1.4           15
10  SJC25        8         23           0.4         15       27
0.6      4    0.2            7
11  SJC32        9         37           1.1         16       38
1.5      1    0.4            7
12  SJC34        9         31           0.8         12       33
1.1      2    0.3            3
13  SJC35        9         19           0.2         14       23
0.3      4    0.1            5
14  SJC53       11         41           1.2         12       40
1.4     -1    0.2            1
15  SJC55       11         41           1.3         12       40
1.7     -1    0.4            1
16  SJC60       11         39           1.5         22       41
1.8      2    0.3           11
17  SJC65       12         41           1.5         23       44
1.8      3    0.3           11

I am stuck on how to 1) create the vertical segments and 2) link them
to x-axis values for MONTHELAPSED?  I would have provided some example
code, except I have not been able to figure out how to approach this
yet.  Since I am probably not looking in the right place, could someone
point me in the right direction or towards some example figure code/help
files that I must have missed in my searching?

Thanks,
Bret
TX A&M

platform i386-pc-mingw32