[R] Q: changing the class of an object

Dave Evens devens8765 at yahoo.com
Thu May 26 18:30:56 CEST 2005

Dear All,

I have a list of dataframes, each cell in every
dataframe (after I have cleaned up the dataframes) is
either real or NA  but have class character (I think).
I would like to know how to change the class of every
cell without using a for-loop. I currently have this

dataframes <- sapply(1: no.of.subs, function(k)
apply(dataframes[[k]], 2, function(x) {
if(class(x)=="character") x <- as(x, "numeric"); x }))

but this neither changes the cells to numeric nor
keeps the dataframes in a list.

It creates one dataframe with number of rows=(no of
rows in a dataframe*no of colums) and number of
columns = no.of.subs

Can someone please help? Thanks in advance for any
help.

Dave