[R] Soil texture triangle in R?

Sander Oom slist at oomvanlieshout.net
Sat May 28 21:51:46 CEST 2005

Dear R users,

Please find attached a new plot function, plot.soiltexture, to plot soil
texture data on a triangular plot with an optional backdrop of the USDA
soil texture classification, written by Jim Lemon and me.

I tried to write the function and documentation confirm the R
conventions. However, this is a new experience for me, so any comments
and suggestions are welcome!

I tried to find a suitable package for the plot function, but none are
obvious.

I have approached Todd Skaggs to ask permission to include sample data
from the paper:
Skaggs, T.H., L.M. Arya, P.J. Shouse, and B.P. Mohanty. 2001. Estimating
particle-size distribution from limited soil texture data. Soil Sci.
Soc. Am. J., 65:1038-1044.
http://soil.scijournals.org/cgi/content/full/65/4/1038

Things still to do:
- rotate axis labels;
- rotate axis tick labels
- provide option to plot ticks inside or outside plot area.

Thus making it look like:
http://soils.usda.gov/technical/manual/images/fig3-16_large.jpg
or
http://soil.scijournals.org/content/vol65/issue4/images/large/1038f2.jpeg