[R] Errors in Variables

Spencer Graves spencer.graves at pdf.com
Sun May 29 23:12:53 CEST 2005

Hi, John:

	  Thanks for the clarification.  I know that the "errors in X problem"
requires additional information, most commonly one of the variances or
the correlation.  The question I saw (below) indicated he had tried
"model of the form y ~ x (with a given covariance matrix ...)", which
made me think of "sem".

	  If he wants "the least (orthogonal) distance", could he could get it
indirectly from "sem" by calling "sem" repeatedly giving, say, a
variance for "x", then averaging the variances of "x" and "y" and trying
that in "sem"?

	  Also, what do you know about "ODRpack"?  It looks like that might
solve "the least (orthogonal) distance".

	  Thanks again for your note, John.
	  Best Wishes,
	  Spencer Graves