[R] breaks in hist()

Francisco J. Zagmutt gerifalte28 at hotmail.com
Wed Nov 2 19:49:24 CET 2005

Hi Leaf

The word "even" can be interpreted in several ways but I will give it a
shot.
If you want to specify the breakpoints to represent the aggregation in your
data you can use the argument breaks within histogram i.e.

x=c(runif(95,0,0.2),runif(5,.21,2))
hist(x, breaks=seq(0,2,.1), freq=F )#It will use breakpoints at
0,0.1,0.2,...2

or you can also suggest a pre-defined number of cells i.e.
hist(x, breaks=7, freq=F )

You can also add a density line over the histogram using lines
lines(density(x, bw=.1))

Alternativelly, you can use some more basic visualization like a
stem-and-leaf plot
stem(x)

I hope this helps

Francisco