[R] ML optimization question--unidimensional unfolding scaling

Spencer Graves spencer.graves at pdf.com
Thu Nov 3 03:01:03 CET 2005

	  Have you looked at the code for "optim"?  If you execute "optim", it
will list the code.  You can copy that into a script file and walk
through it line by line to figure out what it does.  By doing this, you
should be able to find a place in the iteration where you can test both
branches of each bifurcation and pick one -- or keep a list of however
many you want and follow them all more or less simultaneously, pruning
the ones that seem too implausible.  Then you can alternate between a
piece of the "optim" code, bifurcating and pruning, adjusting each and
printing intermediate progress reports to help you understand what it's
doing and how you might want to modify it.

	  With a bit more effort, you can get the official source code with
comments.  To do that, I think you go to "www.r-project.org" -> CRAN ->
(select a local mirror) -> "Software:  R sources".  From there, just
download "The latest release:  R-2.2.0.tar.gz".

	  For more detailed help, I suggest you try to think of the simplest
possible toy problem that still contains one of the issues you find most
difficult.  Then send that to this list.  If readers can copy a few
lines of R code from your email into R and try a couple of things in
less than a minute, I think you might get more useful replies quicker.

	  Best Wishes,
	  Spencer Graves

Spencer Graves, PhD
Senior Development Engineer