[R] Potential for R to conflict with other softwares

Duncan Murdoch murdoch at stats.uwo.ca
Thu Nov 3 15:30:15 CET 2005

On 11/3/2005 9:11 AM, Soukup, Mat wrote:
> Hi.
>
> After some time, my collegues at the Food and Drug Adminstration have
> finally acknowledged R as a powerful statistical computing environment.
> However, in order to comply with the Office of Information and Technology
> standards there are a couple of questions about whether R could interfere
> with other software. As I'm more of a driver of the R software and not a
> mechanic, I was hoping for the insight of the many great useRs. Below is a
> list of 5 proposed questions to which I value any comment.
>
> Thank you for your time,
>
> -Mat

These answers are about the Windows version only, but from the
questions, I think that's what you were looking for.  They apply to all
versions since 1.6.x at least (though the earlier ones would have put
fewer entries into the registry, they put them in the same places).

> 1. Does R have high resolution graphics?

Yes, but I don't think I get the point of this question.  How would that
interfere with other software?

> 2. Does R have .dll files, or other executables which are not located in the
> R software directory tree?

No, it installs everything below R_HOME.

> 3. Does R modify the Windows registry in a non-obvious way, i.e. other than
> defining itself and what extensions to associate with R, and what are those
> extensions?

I think all of its modifications would count as obvious.  They are
mainly below HKLM/Software/R-core or HKCU/Software/R-core (where the
file locations are recorded); additionally file associations are set up
for .Rdata files (which are called RWorkspace files there), and an
uninstall entry is made.

> 4. Does R add macros to any part of MS Office?

No.

> 5. Can you anticipate any other way in which installing and using R could
> disrupt the operation of another software?

No, not really.  Maybe users will become addicted to it?  ;-)

Duncan Murdoch