[R] coding nesting in data for nlme example of Wafer data set.

Spencer Graves spencer.graves at pdf.com
Sun Nov 6 20:15:11 CET 2005

	  Doug Bates made an important comment that might help you with this.
I found it via RSiteSearch("nesting in lmer"):
"http://finzi.psych.upenn.edu/R/Rhelp02a/archive/47423.html".

	  If you still have questions after this, please submit another post,
preferably illustrating your question with a self-contained example in a
few lines of R code that illustrate the problem you are having (as
suggested in the posting guide "www.R-project.org/posting-guide.html").
  Doing so might increase your chances of getting a quick and useful
reply.

	  spencer graves

Bill Shipley wrote:
> I am trying to understand the proper way to encode the nesting structure
> for data in the context of nlme, in the specific case of individuals
> nested within species for which each individual is unique.  I have
> searched through Pinheiro & Bates and also past postings, but without
> success.
>

> Take the Wafer data set which has 2 levels: Wafer (8 values) and Site
> nested within Wafer (10 values for each value of Wafer)  (Pinheiro &
> Bates book).  The data set has Sites coded as values from 1 to 8 for
> Wafer 1, values 1 to 8 for Wafer 2 etc.  Does this mean that the SAME
> sites are used for each Wafer (i.e. site 1 of water 1 is the same as
> site 1 of wafer 2)?  If different sites were chosen for each of the
> wafers would one have to code the sites = 1 to 8 for Wafer 1, sites = 9
> to 16 for Wafer 2, and so on?
>
> In the case of individuals nested within species, each individual is
> unique - analogous to different sites being chosen for each wafter.
>

> Thanks.
>

> Bill Shipley
>

> 	[[alternative HTML version deleted]]

Spencer Graves, PhD