[R] nlme error message

Spencer Graves spencer.graves at pdf.com
Mon Nov 7 00:43:28 CET 2005

	  You need repeated measures for a random effect to make any sense.  I
modified your example as follows, and the error went away.

 > mytable$RIL2 <- rep(1:4, 1:4)
 > cs2 <- corCompSymm(value=0.5, form=~1|RIL2)
 > model2<-lme(mytrait~myloc, data=mytable, random=~1|RIL2,
+             correlation=cs2)

	  (I've made similar mistakes and had great difficulty finding the
problem.)

	  spencer graves

J.Fu wrote:
> Dear Friends,
>
> I am seeking for any help on an error message in lme
> functions. I use mixed model to analyze a data with
> compound symmetric correlation structure. But I get an
> error message: "Error in corMatrix.corCompSymm(object) :
> NA/NaN/Inf in foreign function call (arg 1)". If I change
> the correlation structure to corAR1, then no error. I have
> no clue how to solve this problem. I would highly
> appreciate any help.
> Thanks in advance and looking forward to any help.
>
> JY
>

> I attached my data and codes here:
>
> # data: mytable
>           mytrait myloc RIL
> A1 0.590950330 0 1
> A2 -0.315469846 -1 2
> A3 -0.265690115 0 3
> A4 0.342885046 0 4
> A5 0.007613402 1 5
> A6 0.285997884 0 6
> A7 0.333841975 0 7
> A8 -0.599817735 -1 8
> A9 0.242621036 0 9
> A10 0.518959588 1 10
>
> cs<-corCompSymm(0.5, form=~1|RIL, fixed=T)
> model<-lme(mytrait~myloc, data=mytable, random=~1|RIL,
> na.action=na.omit, correlation=cs)
>
> Error in corMatrix.corCompSymm(object) : NA/NaN/Inf in
> foreign function call (arg 1)

Spencer Graves, PhD
Senior Development Engineer
PDF Solutions, Inc.