[R] Modifying Internal C Files

Martin Maechler maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch
Tue Nov 8 14:10:53 CET 2005

Hi Ken,
just to repeat Prof Ripley's answer:

- R-devel has already increased itrmax (from 100 to 1000),
  and if you don't want to compile R-devel yourself, there are precompiled
  R-devel versions for Windows {maybe MacOS X too}.

 [Also, there's an E-mail on Nov 3 from Thomas Lumley to you and R-help
  where he replied to your posting from Oct 24, and told you
  exactly this; did you somehow not get that mail? (please
  answer offline; this gets *way* off-topic!)]

  Indeed, we are interested to hear if the change has been
  sufficient for all cases.  Personally, I think the real
  solution would have to be a different formula / algorithm
  for "large" ncp values.

- If you want to change R's internals, do so and recompile R;
  that's considerably less work (for you) than trying to put the
  changes into a package {particulary since you should also
  do the vectorization that R's internal code does for you}.

- BTW: This topic has been quite techncal from the start, and I
       think the posting guide advises you to use the "R-devel"
       mailing list instead of R-help { __ next time __ }

BTW, thank you for your orginal report about the pf(*, ncp = "large")
misbehavior!

Regards,
Martin <Maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch>  http://stat.ethz.ch/people/maechler
Seminar fuer Statistik, ETH-Zentrum  LEO C16	Leonhardstr. 27
ETH (Federal Inst. Technology)	8092 Zurich	SWITZERLAND
phone: +41-44-632-3408		fax: ...-1228			<><