[R] Variograms and large distances

Julian Burgos jmburgos at u.washington.edu
Wed Nov 9 01:40:42 CET 2005

Hello R list,
I need to compute empirical variograms using data from a large
geographic area (~10^6 km2).  Although I could not find a specific
reference, I assume that both geoR and gstat calculate distances among
data points assuming points are on a flat surface (using the Pythagorean
Theorem).  Because the location of my data is large and located near the
pole, assuming that latitude and longitude are coordinates on a flat
surface would introduce a -possibly large- bias in the empirical
variogram estimate.  My questions are the following:

a)  Does geoR and gstat assume that points are on a flat surface?

b) If I first calculate the distances among points using the Haversine
formula, it is possible to calculate the variogram with a matrix of
distances among points (where n is the number of observations) and a
vector of observation values?

Any help would be appreciated.

Julian

Julian M. Burgos