[R] R: Re: RODBC fails to build

Vittorio vdemart1 at tin.it
Wed Nov 9 15:18:59 CET 2005

Dear All,

Thanks to the suggestion of Prof Ripley I progressively
solved the many libraries problems connected to the installation of the
R package RODBC under FreeBSD 5.4.
*** As far as this OS is concerned
*** please take notice that the sentence in the README file:".....
Use
the configure options --with-odbc-include and --with-odbc-lib or
environment variables ODBC_INCLUDE and ODBC_LIBS to set the include
and
library paths as needed...."
doesn't give a complete piece of info. As
a matter of fact, as well as setting $ODBC_INCLUDE=/usr/local/include
and $ODBC_LIBS=/usr/local/lib I had also to put ** $LIBS=-
L/usr/local/lib ** which wasn't in the README (and wasn't that
intuitive, was it?).
In so doing I solved the sql.h, sqlext.h headers
problem and a successive problem with the SQLTables libraries.
This set
things straight and RODBC was compiled flawlessly.
I think it would be
worth your while adding this piece of information in the README file.

Ciao
Vittorio

RODBC fails to build

>yes, I read it. Nevertheless I can't make head
or tail of it.
>Can anyone out there help me with a step by step
explanation?

Prof Brian Ripley ha scritto:
>> Did you read the package's README?  It
contains two ways to set these

Vittorio wrote:
>> > Context:Pentium 4, FreeBSD 5.4, R 2.2.0

I updated the extra packages I
>> > had downloaded but the upgrading of
RODBC failed complaining:

>> > checking
>> > for unistd.h... yes
>> > checking sql.h usability... no
>> > checking sql.h

presence... no
>> > checking for sql.h... no
>> > checking sqlext.h
usability...
>> > no
>> > checking sqlext.h presence... no

checking for sqlext.h... no
>> > configure: error: "ODBC headers sql.h
and sqlext.h not found"
>> > ERROR:
>> > configuration failed for
package 'RODBC'

>> > The two header files are
>> > present in my
box under /usr/local/include; I tried to symlink them to

/usr/include and to /usr/local/lib/R/include to no avail.

Please help.