[R] read.table error with R 2.2.0

Duncan Murdoch murdoch at stats.uwo.ca
Wed Nov 9 16:44:20 CET 2005

On 11/9/2005 10:07 AM, Florence Combes wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> I just upgraded version of R to R 2.2.0, and I have a problem with a script
> that did not happen with my previous version.
> Here is the error :

>> param<-read.table(file="param.dat",sep ="\t",header=TRUE,fill=TRUE,
> na.strings="NA")
> Erreur dans read.table.default(file = "param.dat", sep = "\t", header =
> TRUE, :
> 5 arguments passed to 'readTableHead' which requires 6
>
> whereas all was OK before. I cannot understand what's happening.
>
> Has someone already encountered this ??
> Any help greatly appreciated,

There is no "read.table.default" in standard R 2.2.0, so it appears that
you have installed a replacement for read.table, and it no longer works.
   If you type

getAnywhere("read.table")$where

and

getAnywhere("read.table.default")$where

you are likely to see where those functions came from.  (I see

 > getAnywhere("read.table")$where
[1] "package:base"   "namespace:base"

 > getAnywhere("read.table.default")$where
character(0)

indicating that read.table comes from the base package, and
read.table.default doesn't exist.

Duncan Murdoch