[R] how to convert strings back to values?

Illyes Eszter illyese at freemail.hu
Wed Nov 9 21:55:44 CET 2005

Dear All,

It's Eszter from Hungary, a total beginner with R. My problem is the
following:

I have a dataset with binary values as a comma separated textfile. The
samples are in the coloumns and the species are in the rows.

I have to transpose it for the further PCoA analysis. There is no
problem with reading the dataset.

When I transpose the dataset, the original values become strings
(instead of 0,1,0,0,1 I have "0","1","0","0","1"). The distance matrix
cannot be counted from the transposed dataset, I have 2 error
messages:

<Warning in vegdist(tdf1, method = "jaccard", binary = FALSE, diag =
FALSE,  : results may be meaningless because input data have
negative entries>

<Error in rowSums(x, prod(dn), p, na.rm) : 'x' must be numeric>

I do not understand the first, since I have only 1 and 0 in the dataset. I
guess I have the second because of the strings instead of values in the
dataset.

Could you please help me solving these problems? I could not find
anything about these in the manuals.

Thank you, cheers:

Eszter

p.s. This is a new problem, last week I worked with a similar dataset
and I did not get any error message like these.