[R] Compiling R on Sparc-Solaris-2.9

Toby Muhlhofer toby.m at mail.utexas.edu
Wed Nov 9 22:44:46 CET 2005

Hi, all!

I'm trying to compile R on a Solaris machine. The default C compiler is
cc (although gcc is available) and the default Fortran compiler is f95
(although g77 is available).

Without defining the F77 environment variable, configure defaults to f95
as a Fortran compiler and eventually fails with the following output:

---------------------------------
checking whether mixed C/Fortran code can be run... configure: WARNING:
cannot run mixed C/Fortan code
configure: error: Maybe check LDFLAGS for paths to Fortran libraries?
---------------------------------

Setting LDFLAGS to the path where the Fortran libraries sit makes the C
compiler complain.

If I give the value g77 to F77, there are two interesting issues:

1)
-------------------------
defining F77 to be g77
checking whether we are using the GNU Fortran 77 compiler... no
checking whether g77 accepts -g... yes
-------------------------

Why does configure think we are not using the GNU Fortran 77 compiler?

But more importantly

2)
-------------------------------------
checking how to get verbose linking output from g77... configure:
WARNING: compilation failed

checking for Fortran libraries of g77...
checking how to get verbose linking output from cc... -###
checking for C libraries of cc...  -L/usr/local/lib -lthread
checking for dummy main to link with Fortran libraries... none
checking for Fortran name-mangling scheme... configure: error: cannot
compile a simple Fortran program

I tried to compile a simple "Hello World" program with either compiler
and both work without a problem.

Any ideas?

Toby