[R] problems with for: warnings and segfault

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Fri Nov 11 21:23:15 CET 2005

On Fri, 11 Nov 2005, Peter Dalgaard wrote:

> Mike Miller <mbmiller at taxa.epi.umn.edu> writes:
>
>> On Fri, 11 Nov 2005, Ronaldo Reis-Jr. wrote:
>>
>>> Segmentation fault
>>>
>>> This is a R bug or an error in my for function?
>>

>> All seg faults are bugs.
>
> Within reason... If users go out of their way to cause havoc, e.g.
> calling C/Fortran entry points with incorrect parameters, they deserve
> what they get. "Normal" abuse of the language shouldn't crash R.

Also, they are not necessarily bugs *in R*.  They could well be bugs in
the compiler or the libc (or equivalent) or even the OS running out of
resources ungracefully.  We've seen quite a few which were compiler bugs,
and cases where a malloc failure was a segfault in the OS and not
a NULL return.

This one was a bug in R, only happening with incorrect usage.  It has now
been fixed.

Brian D. Ripley,                  ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk