[R] no package 'Matrix' at the repositories

Duncan Murdoch murdoch at stats.uwo.ca
Fri Nov 11 15:40:45 CET 2005

On 11/11/2005 9:13 AM, Liaw, Andy wrote:
> If you are installing from Windows, the current version of Matrix apparently
> doesn't build automatically on Windows.  See:
>
> http://cran.r-project.org/bin/windows/contrib/2.3/check/Matrix-check.log
>
> (That's for R-devel.  There're similar problems on R-2.2.0.)
>
> I'm sure Doug is aware of this...

Yes, he is.  Brian Ripley put together a copy that will build and
install on Windows; I think it is just a matter of a short wait before
those patches are incorporated in the main copy and it is sent to CRAN.

Matrix is a big package, and it tests lots of code in R.  I spent a day
earlier this week tracking down a bug in R-devel that it revealed.  It
was a tricky one, because it only generated a warning; when warnings
were converted to errors, the problem went away.  Luke Tierney pointed
out a nice trick that made it easier to find such a thing, and I've
added it to my debugging web page here:

<http://www.stats.uwo.ca/faculty/murdoch/software/debuggingR/#tryCatch>

Duncan Murdoch