[R] odesolve with banded Jacobian [was "no subject"]

Martin Maechler maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch
Mon Nov 14 15:46:06 CET 2005

    KSoet> Hi, I am trying to solve a model that consists of
    KSoet> rather stiff ODEs in R.

    KSoet> I use the package ODEsolve (lsoda) to solve these
    KSoet> ODEs.

    KSoet> To speed up the integration, the jacobian is also
    KSoet> specified.

    KSoet> Basically, the model is a one-dimensional
    KSoet> advection-diffusion problem, and thus the jacobian is
    KSoet> a tridiagonal matrix.

    KSoet> The size of this jacobian is 100*100.

    KSoet> In the original package LSODA it is possible to
    KSoet> specify that the jacobian is banded, which makes its
    KSoet> inversion very efficient.

    KSoet> However, this feature seems to have been removed in
    KSoet> the R version.

    KSoet> Is there a way to overcome this limitation?

Yes.  But probably not a very easy one; maybe even a very
cumbersome one... ;-)

Note however that questions like these should typically be
addressed at the package author - which you can always quickly
find out via

  > packageDescription("odesolve")
  Package: odesolve
  Version: 0.5-12