[R] Curve fitting tutorial / clue stick?

Allen S. Rout asr at ufl.edu
Mon Nov 14 16:41:51 CET 2005

Working through the R archives and webspace, I've mostly proved to myself that
I don't know enough about what statisticians call "Curve Fitting" to even
begin translating the basics.

I'm a sysadmin, and have collected a variety of measurements of my systems,
and I can draw pretty pictures in R showing what has happened.  People are
happy, customers feel empowered.  Whee!

Now, I want to take my corpus of data and make a prediction based on it; In
statistics-moron speak, I want to draw a line or a simple curve across my
extant graph, and figure out where the predictive curve passes threshold 'T',
and then graph that too.

I thought I'd be telling R something like:

- I think this is exponential.  Here's the data.  Give me the best function
  you can come up with, and tell me "how good" the fit is.

- I think this is quadratic.  Here's the data.  Give me the best function
  you can come up with, and tell me "how good" the fit is.

Can someone point me at a spot in the docs which might be suitable for my
level of ignorance?

- Allen S. Rout