[R] effect sizes for Wilcoxon tests

Thomas Lumley tlumley at u.washington.edu
Tue Nov 15 23:06:31 CET 2005

On Tue, 15 Nov 2005, Claus Atzenbeck wrote:

>>> Does anyone know how to calculate effect sizes for Wilcoxon tests as
>>> SPSS can do? I wonder if it would be very difficult to do so with R.
>>
>> If the above formula is correct, it can't be hard. What I wonder is
>> whether (and if so, how) it makes sense. (& the fact that SPSS does it
>> is no guarantee...)
>
> According to my references, the formula is OK.

I think you have misinterpreted the direction of Peter's scepticism. The
question is whether an effect size defined this way means anything useful.
For example, even if your data are Normally distributed with equal
variance this definition will not agree with the definition based on the
mean. This is only the start of the potential problems, especially if the
distributions do not have the same shape.

> However, how do I get Z from a Wilcoxon test in R?

wtest <- wilcox.test(y~group,data=d, alternative="greater")
qnorm(wtest$p.value)

 	-thomas