[R] Portable R?

David Mitchell monch1962 at gmail.com
Thu Nov 17 04:16:53 CET 2005

Hello list,

A short time ago, I found
http://johnhaller.com/jh/useful_stuff/portable_apps_suite/, which
contains basically a complete set of office tools that can be run
*entirely* from a USB key.  The concept is:
- find a Windows PC
- put in your USB key
- run OpenOffice, Firefox, Gaim, Nvu, Thunderbird, ... directly from
your USB key, with no app installation required
- save your files wherever
- remove your USB key and leave, with nothing installed on the original PC

As a consultant who battles regularly with limited toolsets at
customer sites, this strikes me as an extremely handy way of working.

Has anyone managed to setup a base R configuration that runs entirely
from USB key?  Being a regular user, but no expert, with R, it'd be
very helpful for me if such a mechanism existed, but I've got no idea
where to begin in building such a thing.

Thanks in advance for any responses or suggestions

Dave M.