[R] generalised linear mixed effect model, glmmPQL

Patrick Giraudoux patrick.giraudoux at univ-fcomte.fr
Thu Nov 17 08:54:39 CET 2005

Dear listers,

I am trying to get more familiar with concepts underlying generalised
linear mixed models, mainly through Venables and Ripley (fourth edition)
and the R-list archive. Of course, as a  possibly tool-user biologist I
am not that easy with every détails of the mathematical aspects of the
optimisation methods described. I am trying to sort out which could be
an acceptable strategy for model comparisons and selection. I have
understood from the R-list archive that AIC and similar approaches are
not valid for model comparisons with PQL. On the other hand, table 10.4
in Venables and Ripley compares the results of various fitting methods
(thus the fitting methods), but my wonder is about  comparing  models
(or parameter estimates) given a  method.

Can somebody put me on the track with some hints or  basic references
for "dummies" if any...

Thanks in advance,

Patrick