[R] nlme question

Doran, Harold HDoran at air.org
Thu Nov 17 19:02:29 CET 2005

I think the authors are mistaken. Sigma is random error, and due to its
randomness it cannot be systematically related to anything. It is this
ind. assumption that allows for the likelihood to be expressed as
described in Pinhiero and Bates p.62.

If you are finding that sigma is systematically related to a fixed
effect, then your model is misspecified and there are omitted
characteristics that need to be accounted for.