[R] Autoloading R Commander

John Fox jfox at mcmaster.ca
Sat Nov 19 17:27:10 CET 2005

Dear Stephen,

I believe that this question has been asked before, though possibly
privately rather than on the r-help list. A solution (kindly provided, as I
recall, by Brian Ripley) is to put the following in an appropriate start-up
file. For example, if you *always* want to start the Rcmdr when R starts,
this could go in Rprofile.site in R's etc subdirectory. For more detail, see
?Startup, as others have suggested.

local({
  old <- getOption("defaultPackages")
  options(defaultPackages = c(old, "Rcmdr"))
})

I hope this helps,
 John

John Fox