[R] Problem in compilation from source in./configure R.2.2

Peter Dalgaard p.dalgaard at biostat.ku.dk
Mon Nov 21 23:26:25 CET 2005

Pedro Cordeiro Estrela <pedroestrela at yahoo.com> writes:

> Hello useRs!
>
>  I'm REALLY having trouble with readline when compiling R. 2.2 from source   during ./configure.
>  Here are the last lines of the configure log:
>
>  checking readline/history.h usability... yes
>  checking readline/history.h presence... yes
>  checking for readline/history.h... yes
>  checking readline/readline.h usability... yes
>  checking readline/readline.h presence... yes
>  checking for readline/readline.h... yes
>  checking for rl_callback_read_char in -lreadline... no

>  checking for main in -lncurses... no
>  checking for main in -ltermcap... no
>  checking for main in -ltermlib... no
>  checking for rl_callback_read_char in -lreadline... no

<twice?>

This check is in there to check for some really old readline versions
that didn't allow the style of readline interface that R used. Do you
happen to have such an older version that could get picked up by the
linker?

What's inside config.log corresponding to the messages? These tests
generally work by compiling and linking a small test program, and if
that fails, you get the "no" part. However, sometimes the program
fails for some other reason and the message becomes misleading.