[R] searching for the 'right' cluster analysis solution

Mira Küster MiraKuester at web.de
Tue Nov 22 17:32:30 CET 2005

Hello,

I need some help in finding the 'right'(maybe better 'the best') solution for my cluster analysis calculations. There are so many ways to do cluster analysis, I'm a litte bit puzzled. I've read one should choose the solution after what makes the best sense in regard to the content of the clusters.
Is there a function in R that can help to evaluate the cluster analysis solutions?

Another question:
I've done a ward cluster analysis and I've read in a book about cluster analysis, that one could make a structogram with the error variances, that looks almost like the scree plot of the PCA, to define the number of clusters, but unfortunately I haven't found any function for a structogram in R.
Is there some one who has written the function for that on his own, or who could give me a hint how to do this?

Best wishes,

Mira