[R] adding variables to a data set/combining two data sets

nhepburn nhepburn at ualberta.ca
Thu Nov 24 00:13:25 CET 2005

I have a couple of data sets that I want to combine into one data frame.
One set contains a number of records on individual observations and includes
a geographic descriptor called dacode.  The dacode is not unique in that
table.  The other table contains a number of socio-economic variables for
each of the geographic areas identified in the other table.  This second
table also includes a variable called dacode and I have also used dacode for
the rownames.  I want to pull a number of the variables from the
socioeconomic status data into the first table but I'm having no luck.
Here's what I have tried so far:

#first attempt

grade6DA$ses1 <- sesdata$ses1[as.character(grade6DA$dacode)]

All that this does is create a new column in the grade6DA data set and calls
it ses1 but then fills it with NA.

#second attempt
grade6DA$ses1 <- sesdata$ses1[grade6DA$dacode]

Neither approach has worked so I've ended up combining the tables in a MySQL
database and then importing back into R.  However, it would be much easier
if I could just manipulate the variables in R rather than going through
MySQL everytime I want to try something new.  I've looked in the R-manuals
but did not see anything about this - but I could have been looking in the
wrong places.  Any ideas on how to accomplish what I am trying to do or
advice on where to find the info would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Neil

Neil Hepburn, PhD Candidate
Department of Economics