[R] multilevel models and sample size

Berton Gunter gunter.berton at gene.com
Sun Nov 27 19:16:13 CET 2005

"All models are wrong, but some are useful."  --George Box

I do not understand what you mean by "acceptable, nor "levels" nor "units".
Specifying your model would help clarify things, I think. If by "levels" you
mean number of different values of a random factor, than 2 levels is
unlikely to tell you much useful about the variability of that factor. On
the other hand, 50 values might be. Depends on the model,the data, and the
scientific objectives, none of which you have stated clearly enough for me
to understand, anyway.

-- Bert