[R] Durbin-Watson Critical Values Tables

Achim Zeileis Achim.Zeileis at wu-wien.ac.at
Mon Nov 28 23:40:55 CET 2005

On Mon, 28 Nov 2005, Constantine Tsardounis wrote:

> Hello to everyone!...
>
> I would like to ask you if there is a way to extract the known
> Durbin-Watson critical values (D_L and D_U - lower and upper limits)
> within R, as we do in the DW statistic tables at the end of
> Econometrics Textbooks, because packages "car" and "lmtest" seem to
> provide only the p-value (it is useful, but I  would like to have the
> exact critical vaues).

lmtest and car do not *only* provide p values, they are able to provide a
p-value whereas using the upper and lower bounds you might obtain
inconclusive results. Hence, the p values yield more precise results!

It is not possible to provide a single table of critical values because
the null distribution depends on the regressor matrix. If you really want
to have a single critical value for a particular problem, look at the
implementations of dwtest() or durbin.watson() how to compute the full
(approximate) null distribution.

Best,