[R] What made us so popular Nov 16-20?

James W. MacDonald jmacdon at med.umich.edu
Tue Nov 29 14:43:29 CET 2005

Peter Dalgaard wrote:
> Seeliger.Curt at epamail.epa.gov writes:
>

>>Duncan asks:
>>
>>>Did we get mentioned somewhere (e.g. Slashdot), or was someone just
>>>experimenting with some automated downloading?
>>
>>R was mentioned in last week's (I think) O'Reilly newsletter, which
>>included a link to a short article showing how easy it is to get R to
>>graph stuff like stock price histories.  That's the publisher, not the
>>talking head.
>

> [See other mail for the link]
>

>>For what it's worth, the article isn't worth chasing down.  It left a
>>beginner like me disappointed that R's capabilities weren't better
>>shown, and that he relied on Perl to do data manipulation.
>

> Er, where did you see Perl being used? The only thing that irked me
> (admittedly, I only skimmed the article) was that he was using
> regression models to test for correlation (why not cor.test()?) and
> speculates a bit wildly about the sign of a clearly nonsignificant
> relation. It's a bit superficial, but I suspect that this sort of
> paper has to be.

I think Curt is referring to this part:

A simple starting point is a vector or array of numbers. I downloaded
historical Standard and Poor's (S&P) 500 stock index data and wrote a
Perl program to convert the data into a simple two-column table. Figure
2 shows a snippet of the start of the file.

Best,

Jim

--
James W. MacDonald