[R] help with R

Ed Wang eymw at hotmail.com
Tue Nov 29 18:50:37 CET 2005

Hi,

New to R on Windows and also someone trying to learn how
to use R in batch.  My apologies if this posting is a little long
but users may better understand the problems I'm having
if I explain what I'm doing.

Goal: use R to look at seasonality on a daily level, where I have
15 years of daily data for a 246 day year (proprietary reasons
for using this number of days).

Data is a large vector of integer data, 3690 elements long.
Have found R interactive mode crashes at times dealing with
this much data, and it is painful to interactively build this
vector over and over.

Question 1: is there a way to expand the memory limits of R?
On a LINUX box I'm sure there must be a way to specifiy at
build how large arrays can be used in R, but this is Windows
so I've downloaded a precompiled binary for Windows XP.

I also want to use 245 dummy variables with a linear model
to identify non-trivial seasonality occuring on certain days.
All this makes for quite a bit to type in, which is why I've
resorted to writing a batch script.

I've tried loading the batch script via the command

>source(C:\\Program Files\\R\\rw2011\\HO_Rscript.txt)

in interactive mode but I get an error.

Question 2: can someone point out the syntax flaw in trying
to upload this batch script text file?  If I can get R to upload
the script I can atleast begin to debug it.  I am a UNIX 3.0
person by training.

If you like you can email me your comments directly

eymw at hotmail.com

I still can't easily find my way around the R-help mailing list.
Sorry, still new to this R-webpage, but enjoy using the
package so far!

Thanks.

Ed Wang