[R] likelihood ratio tests using glmmPQL

Douglas Bates dmbates at gmail.com
Wed Nov 30 22:46:03 CET 2005

If you use lmer from the lme4 package (actually it is in the Matrix
package but "logically" it is in the lme4 package) to fit a
Generalized Linear Mixed Model you have the option of using PQL, or
the Laplace approximation or Adaptive Gauss-Hermite Quadrature (AGQ).
The log-likelihood for any of these methods, including PQL, is an
approximation to the actual log-likelihood of the GLMM model and can
be used for likelihood ratio tests.