[R] modeling language for optimization problems

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Mon Oct 3 20:11:12 CEST 2005

On Mon, 3 Oct 2005, roger bos wrote:

> As others have alluded, R does not have any one package that is as
> versatile and powerful as NuOpt, but R does have many different optimization
> packages, so you can do LP, QP, Integer programming, and many more types of
> optimization, all without having to learn a new language. But being free,
> they are admittedly not as powerful as NuOpt. The main thing I know you can
> do in NuOpt that you cannot do in R (to my knowledge) is mixed integer
> quadratic programming, which would be nice, but there are many work arounds.

Please tell us which R packages provide

>> - primal-dual interior point method based on line search for general
>> Convex Programming (CP) models including convex Quadratic Programming
>> (CQP) models.
>>
>> - primal-dual interior point method based on trust region method for
>> general Non-Linear Programming (NLP) models.
>>
>> - primal-dual interior point method based on quasi-Newton method for
>> general Non-Linear Programming (NLP) models.
>>
>> - active set method for convex Quadratic Programming (CQP) models and
>> mixed integer Quadratic Programming(MIQP) models.'

and how you found them?  I get

> help.search("interior point")
rq.fit.fn(quantreg)     Quantile Regression Fitting via Interior Point
                         Methods
rq.fit.fnb(quantreg)    Quantile Regression Fitting via Interior Point
                         Methods
rq.fit.fnc(quantreg)    Quantile Regression Fitting via Interior Point
                         Methods
> help.search("convex programming")
No help files found with alias or concept or title matching 'convex
programming' using fuzzy matching.