[R] Problem with Matrix package

Martin Maechler maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch
Tue Oct 4 14:11:43 CEST 2005

    Jari> Hello All, While trying to install Matrix package
    Jari> following error message came out:

    Jari> /usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lblas-3
    Jari> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
    Jari> make: *** [Matrix.so] Error 1
    Jari> ERROR: compilation failed for package 'Matrix'
    Jari> ** Removing '/usr/lib/R/library/Matrix'
    Jari> ** Restoring previous '/usr/lib/R/library/Matrix'

Matrix has in src/Makefile

PKG_LIBS = ${LAPACK_LIBS} ${BLAS_LIBS}

and quite a few other packages have the same or a very similar
thing in their src/Makevars or src/Makefile.

Both these variables are defined by your R installation.
And it seems are definitely defined wrongly for your environment.

Try (in a shell)
    grep LAPACK_LIBS `R RHOME`/etc/Makeconf
    grep BLAS_LIBS `R RHOME`/etc/Makeconf
to see their values
I'm sure the '-lblas-3' above is in one of them.

    Jari> It seems that someting is missing. Have anybody idea where we can find this
    Jari> missing piece?

there are several debian packages for BLAS/LAPACK etc.
I do wonder how you got to an R installation with LAPACK_LIBS or
BLAS_LIBS that don't match the things available on your machine.

    Jari> We have Debian Linux.

Yes, and an installation of R (which one?)
that's not "correct" in the above sense.

How was it installed?

Regards,
Martin Maechler, ETH Zurich