[R] transparent surface in rgl

Duncan Murdoch murdoch at stats.uwo.ca
Wed Oct 5 15:57:12 CEST 2005

On 10/5/2005 9:31 AM, Prof. Paul R. Fisher wrote:
> Hi all
> I am a complete newbie to this list (just subscribed) and a newcomer to
> R (an S user from olden times). I have been using scatter3d to create a
> 3d scatter plot with surface. The graphic is created within the rgl
> package and I have used rgl.postscript to export it so I can generate a
> publication quality image. My problem is that the plotted surface is no
> longer transparent in the postscript output ie. the rgl.spheres that are
> behind the surface disappear in the postscript image. Can't seem to find
> any info on this anywhere. Am I doing something wrong? Is there an easy fix?

I think Postscript doesn't support transparency (or at least the version
of Postscript that the rgl.postcript function targets doesn't support
it).  You may have to export a bitmapped format using the rgl.snapshot()
function.  If your original window is very large this may give you good
enough quality.

Duncan Murdoch