[R] circular statistics plotting

Uwe Ligges ligges at statistik.uni-dortmund.de
Thu Oct 6 21:54:30 CEST 2005

Jason Horn wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm new to the list here, and I have what I think is a simple
> question.  Using the "circular" package, is there a way to plot the
> mean and variance on top of a rose diagram or other plot of the data?

The package seems to be very well designed:
I did not know anything about this package at the time reading your
question. Reading the help page and trying out the first example, it
took me less than a minute to figure it out (hence I wonder why you
haven't?). From the example:

   library(circular)
   x <- circular(runif(50, 0, 2*pi))
   rose.diag(x, bins = 18, main = 'Uniform Data')
   ## plot the mean:
   points(mean(x), col = "red")

Uwe Ligges