[R] Assign references

Tony Plate tplate at acm.org
Sat Oct 8 00:35:59 CEST 2005

Looking at what objects exist after the call to myFunk() should give you
a clue as to what happened:

 > remove(list=objects())
 > myFunk<-function(a,b,foo,bar) {foo<<-a+b; bar<<-a*b;}
 > x<-0; y<-0;
 > myFunk(4,5,x,y)
[1] 0
[1] 0
 > objects()
[1] "bar"    "foo"    "myFunk" "x"      "y"
 > bar
[1] 20
 > foo
[1] 9

I suspect that you might have slightly misinterpreted Thomas Lumely's
explanations of how the <<- operator works in different situations (the
LHS must exist if you are assigning using a replacement operator, e.g.,
as in "foo[1] <<- ...", but not when you are assigning the whole object
as in "foo <<- ...").

But I really would suggest careful consideration of what might be the
best way to approach your problem -- modifying global data from within a
function is not the standard way of using R.  Unless you are very
careful about how you do it, it is likely to cause headaches for
yourself and/or others down the road (because R is just not intended to
be used that way).

The standard way of doing this sort of thing in R is to modify a local
copy of the dataframe and return that, or if you have to return several
dataframes, then return a list of dataframes.

-- Tony Plate