[R] obfuscated identity

Martin Maechler maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch
Sat Oct 8 15:12:48 CEST 2005

    Globe> I use this Yahoo! e-mail address as a junk e-mail
    Globe> address since the archives contain the complete
    Globe> e-mail address (no anti-spam measures taken) so I do
    Globe> not include my real name.

  [there are many different archives and some do some anti-spam measures..
   to strip or obfuscate e-mail addresses before mail is sent
   out, is really not an option!]

    Globe> It would be nice if the R-archivers stripped e-mail
    Globe> addresses from posters (or messed it up) so that
    Globe> spider programs would not be able to get it.

  (yes, but *all* of them would have to do it; and do it so
   smartly that smart address collecting software cannot
   regenerate it; ... )

    Globe> Many thanks and best wishes, GT

and you still don't tell us who you are!

Bert's remark was very much on point:  Using a yahoo or gmail or
... e-mail address is one thing; but then we'd expect at least a
full name (and often affiliation) as "signature".
It not only netiquette, it's real life etiquette to not send
anonymous letters....

Martin Maechler, ETH Zurich