[R] R: integration problem

Ravi Varadhan rvaradha at jhsph.edu
Mon Oct 10 17:44:28 CEST 2005

Hi,

If your limits were to be from -1 to +1 (instead of lower limit being 0),
your integral is:

pi * I_0(b)

Where I_0 is the modified Bessel's function of the zeroth order.

If it is from 0 to 1, then there is no closed form (the integrand is not
symmetric about 0). You must evaluate the integral with exp(a*cos(t)) as the
integrand from 0 to pi/2.

Hope this is helpful,
Ravi.