[R] font=5 (Was: greek symbols using pch)

Earl F. Glynn efg at stowers-institute.org
Tue Oct 11 17:23:24 CEST 2005

"ecatchpole" <E.Catchpole at adfa.edu.au> wrote in message
news:434B7B78.6020603 at adfa.edu.au...
> Thanks for that. Very instructive, and much appreciated.
>
> And sorry, yes, I strayed well off the original topic. The Greek symbols
>   come out fine with font=5 in my locale,
> Locale:
> LC_CTYPE=en_GB.UTF-8;
> LC_NUMERIC=C;
> LC_TIME=en_GB.UTF-8;
>
> I was interested in some of the other nice characters, for example
> \infty and \partial, that appear in the table, but with a calligraphic R
> attached to them. But plotmath() works fine, so I'm happy.

I performed some tests with font=5 on both Linux and Windows using
source("font5.R"), which is shown below, and then calling the Font5Test()
function.

Consistent results were seen with devices X11, png, and jpeg under either
Linux  (R 2.1.1) or Windows (R 2.2.0) in my locale.  Oddly, both the pdf and
postscript devices create 2 pages of output with the first page the expected
table and a second unexpected page with only the "clubs suite" symbol (167)
in the middle of the plot. I'd call this a bug, but I guess I haven't read
all the documentation about this yet.

efg
Earl F. Glynn
Scientific Programmer
Stowers Institute for Medical Research

font5.R
======

ShowFont5 <- function()
{
  oldpar <- par(font=5, las=1)
  plot(0:1, 0:1, type="n")
  points(.5, .5, pch=167)
  par(font=5, las=1)
  plot(0:15,0:15,type="n",ylim=c(15,0),
    main="Symbols in Font=5",
    xlab="", ylab="",xaxt="n", yaxt="n")
  axis(BOTTOM<-1, at=0:15)
  axis(LEFT  <-2, at=0:15, 16*0:15)
  abline(v=0.5 + 0:14,
         h=0.5 + 0:14, col="grey", lty="dotted")
  # pch index of any cell is 16*row + column
  for(i in 0:255)
  {
    x <- i %%16;
    y <- i %/% 16;
    points(x,y,pch=i)
  }
  par(oldpar)
}

Font5Test <- function()
{
  X11()
  ShowFont5()
  dev.off()

  pdf("font5.pdf")
  ShowFont5()
  dev.off()

  png("font5.png")
  ShowFont5()
  dev.off()

  jpeg("font5.jpg")
  ShowFont5()
  dev.off()

  postscript("font5.ps")
  ShowFont5()
  dev.off()

}

Linux Test
=======
> Sys.getlocale()
[1] "C"

> R.Version()
$platform
[1] "x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu"

$arch
[1] "x86_64"

$os
[1] "linux-gnu"

$system
[1] "x86_64, linux-gnu"

$status
[1] ""

$major
[1] "2"

$minor
[1] "1.1"

$year
[1] "2005"

$month
[1] "06"

$day
[1] "20"

$language
[1] "R"

Windows Test
==========
> Sys.getlocale()
[1] "LC_COLLATE=English_United States.1252;LC_CTYPE=English_United
States.1252;LC_MONETARY=English_United
States.1252;LC_NUMERIC=C;LC_TIME=English_United States.1252"

> R.Version()
$platform
[1] "i386-pc-mingw32"

$arch