[R] Under-dispersion - a stats question?

Kjetil Holuerson kjetil at redcotel.bo
Tue Oct 11 23:16:34 CEST 2005

Martin Henry H. Stevens wrote:
> Hello all:
> I frequently have glm models in which the residual variance is much
> lower than the residual degrees of freedom (e.g. Res.Dev=30.5, Res.DF
> = 82). Is it appropriate for me to use a quasipoisson error
> distribution and test it with an F distribution? It seems to me that
> I could stand to gain a much-reduced standard error if I let the
> procedure estimate my dispersion factor (which is what I assume the
> quasi- distributions do).

I did'nt see an answer to this. maybe you could treat as a
quasimodel, but first you should ask why there is underdispersion.

Underdispersion could arise if you have dependent responses, for
instance, competition (say, between plants) could produce
underdispersion. Then you would be better off changing to an appropriate
model. maybe you could post more about your experimental setup?

Kjetil