[R] Historical England and Wales Shape Files

Roger Bivand Roger.Bivand at nhh.no
Wed Oct 12 15:07:24 CEST 2005

On Wed, 12 Oct 2005, Camarda, Carlo Giovanni wrote:

> Dear R-user,
> I would like to apply spatial statistics on some historical data, in
> particular from 1850 to 1900 by registration district of England and
> Wales.
> I have searched in the R-archive, but unsuccessfully.
> Do you know whether R contains those shape files? Or where would be
> possible to download and use in R?

None of the contributed packages to R contain such shapefiles. I'm afraid
you have to find them first yourself. From:

http://edina.ac.uk/ukborders/description/data_by_country.shtml

boundary data appear to be available for 1871, 1881, and 1911 for these
units, if you have permission to use that service.