[R] Optim with two constraints

Prof Brian Ripley ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk
Thu Oct 13 08:46:08 CEST 2005

This is actually quadratic programming, so why do you want to use optim()?
There are packages specifically for QP, e.g. quadprog.

A more general approach is to eliminate one variable, which gives you an
inequality constrained problem in n-1 variables to which you could apply
contrOptim().  Other re-parametrizations (e.g. of weights as a
log-linear model) will work provided none of the parameters are going to
be zero at the optimum (one cannot be one without all the others being
zero).