[R] Do Users of Nonlinear Mixed Effects Models Know Whether Their Software Really Works?

dave fournier otter at otter-rsch.com
Thu Oct 13 22:19:24 CEST 2005

           Do Users of Nonlinear Mixed Effects Models Know

                  Whether Their Software Really Works?

   Lesaffre et. al. (Appl. Statist. (2001) 50, Part3, pp 325-335)
   analyzed
   some simple clinical trials data using a logistic random effects
   model. Several packages and methods MIXOR, SAS NLMIXED were employed.
   They reported obtaining very different parameter estimates and
   P values for the log-likelihood with the different packages and
   methods. We thought it  would be interesting to revisit this example
   using the AD Model Builder random effects module which we feel is
   the most stable software available for this problem at this time.

              http://otter-rsch.com/admodel.htm

   You can get Table 2 from Lesaffre et al at

           http://otter-rsch.com/downloads/other/lesaffre.pdf

   The data and more information are available
   from the publisher.

           http://www.blackwellpublishers.co.uk/rss/Volumes/Cv50p3.htm

   We considered three questions:

     1.) What are the  estimates using the Laplace approximation
         for integrating out the random effects.

     2.) What are the exact MLE's.

     3.) How well does hypothesis testing (likelihood-ratio) using
         the Laplace approximation compare with the exact MLE's.

   We first fit the data using ADMB-RE's Laplace approximation
   option.

   Laplace approximation estimates:

      # Number of parameters = 4  log-likelihood = -629.817
                       value      std dev  P value
            b_1     -2.3321e+00 7.6973e-01  < 0.0024
            b_2     -6.8795e-01 6.6185e-01    0.298
            b_3     -4.6134e-01 4.0000e-02  < 0.001
          sigma      4.5738e+00 7.0970e-01

    The parameter of interest here the treatment effect b_2 which is the
   parameter reported in Lesaffre et. al.

    To calculate the exact MLE we fit the model using 100 point adaptive
    Gaussian integration. The ADMB-RE results were:

    Gaussian integration estimates:

      # Number of parameters = 4  log-likelihood = -627.481

          name         value      std dev    P value
           b_1     -1.4463e+00 4.2465e-01   < 0.001
           b_2     -5.2225e-01 5.5716e-01     0.348
           b_3     -4.5150e-01 3.6663e-02   < 0.001
         sigma      4.0137e+00 3.8083e-01

   Of the estimates reported in Lesaffre et al. in table 2 only the
   50 point quadrature for the program MIXOR appear to be correct
   for both the log-likelihood value and the parameter estimates
   while the authors concluded that the SAS NLMIXED parameter estimates
   they obtained were correct.  So even though these authors were looking
   for pathological behaviour and were presumably very careful, and their
   paper was presumably peer-reviewed, they came to the wrong conclusion
   using SAS NLMIXED.

   How do we know that our exact MLE's are correct? To confirm our
   results we used our parameter estimates as initial values in the SAS
   NLMIXED procedure using 100 point adaptive quadrature. The procedure
   returned our values, that is it agreed that these are the maximum
   likelihood estimates.  However we verified that to get these estimates
   from the SAS NLMIXED procedure one must begin with fairly good
   starting values. In contrast the ADMB-RE procedure is very insensitive
   to the starting values used. Our conclusion is that while SAS NLMIXED
   might work for this very simple problem it probably begins to break
   down when the problem is a bit more difficult.

   The ADMB-RE software is more stable because it calculates exact higher
   oreder derivatives by automatic differentiation for use in its
   optimization procedure and calculations while other packages do not.

   Gauss-Hermite integration for the random effects can
   be used for this model because the Hessian for the random effects is
   diagonal which permits one dimensional integration over the random
   effects to great accuracy.  However this procedure does not scale well
   to problems where the Hessian is not diagonal.  Suppose that it takes
   a 20 point quadrature to obtain reliable parameter estimates with a
   diagonal Hessian.  Then with a block diagonal Hessian where the blocks
   are of size 4x4 it would take 160,000 points.

   Results using R

   We fit the model using what appear to be the currently available
   procedures in R.  The two routines lmer (lme4 package) and glmmPQL
   (MASS library) were tried.

   The call

     >>   lmer(y ~ treat + time + (1|subject),data=lesaffre,family=binomial)

   resulted in a warning message from lme4() but both routines produced
   the same results.

     Generalized linear mixed model fit using PQL
     Formula: y ~ treat + time + (1 | subject)