[R] regression using a lagged dependent variable as explanatory variable

Achim Zeileis Achim.Zeileis at wu-wien.ac.at
Sat Oct 15 18:04:10 CEST 2005

On Sat, 15 Oct 2005, giacomo moro wrote:

> Hi,
> I would like to regress y (dependent variable) on x (independent variable) and y(-1).
> I have create the y(-1) variable in this way:  ly<-lag(y, -1)
> Now if I do the following regression  lm (y ~ x + ly) the results I obtain are not correct.

The reason is that lm() itself does not match time series by their time
attribute (and apart from the "tsp" attribute x and lag(x, -1) are the
same vector). On ?lm there is a description what you could do to create a
time series and then apply lm().
As Gabor already wrote, there are two convenience interfaces available in
the packages dyn and dynlm.