[R] measurement error model - "simple" linear regression

Troels Ring tring at gvdnet.dk
Sun Oct 16 22:40:17 CEST 2005

Dear friends, I found the thread on this subject this summer but
wonder whether it has been taken any further. I have an important
medical problem where X is computed from a three independent and
complicated measurements (exchangeable sodium and potassium and total
body water - i.e. X = (Nae+Ke)/TBW ) and Y is serum sodium
concentration (all data in Edelman, JCI 1958). I have the individual
data in the paper (but have not yet had time to enter it) and Edelman
et al in fact reported measurement errors for most individual items.
Edelman and coworkers made a linear regression of Y on X and now I
would like to ascertain the importance of the fact that X was
measured with error for the utility of the formula in clinical
practice (since I believe it is being misused by ignoring this fact -
and more). I found in Neter, Wasserman and Kutner 3. ed a general
discussion of the problem - but would very much like a more recent
presentation if available and application in R.

Best wishes

Troels Ring
Aalborg, Denmark