[R] SEM with dichotomous indicators

John Fox jfox at mcmaster.ca
Sun Oct 16 23:50:01 CEST 2005

Dear Renata,

You can do this by combining the sem() and boot.sem() functions in the
sem package with hetcor() in the polycor package; boot.sem() computes
standard errors for parameter estimates by bootstrapping.

See ?boot.sem for an example of a confirmatory factor-analysis model
with ordinal indicators. See ?sem for many examples of
structural-equation models with latent variables. Just combine the two.
Note that a dichotomous indicator is in effect a two-category ordinal
variable and may be handled as such. For example, the polychoric
correlation between two dichtomous variables is just their tetrachoric
correlation.

I hope this helps,
 John