[R] problems with device drivers postscript() and pdf()

Roger Bivand Roger.Bivand at nhh.no
Tue Oct 18 15:22:43 CEST 2005

On Tue, 18 Oct 2005, Sibylle Matthes wrote:

> Dear R-help,
> We are using the Platform AMD 64 Bit Opteron.
> Our operating system is SUSE LINUX ENTERPRISESERVER SLES9.0
> We are using R version 2.2.0 .
> This is our problem:
> None of the device drivers postscript() or pdf() is opening, e.g.
> the following message is coming:
> postscript("splines-Ex.ps")
> Fehler in postscript("splines-Ex.ps") : unable to start device
> PostScript
> ZusÃ¤tzlich: Warning message:
> cannot open 'postscript' file argument 'splines-Ex.ps'

As far as I can see, you are trying to write 'splines-Ex.ps' in a
directory where you do not have write access. Check getwd(), and move with
setwd() to a directory you can write to, or give a full path to such a
directory.

Look at:

getwd()
system("ls -l ..")

to see the permissions of your working directory.

--
Roger Bivand
e-mail: Roger.Bivand at nhh.no