[R] loading packages - mac user

Thomas Lumley tlumley at u.washington.edu
Tue Oct 18 22:13:32 CEST 2005

On Tue, 18 Oct 2005, Cormac Lawler wrote:

> Hi,
> I'm using a Mac, I've downloaded R (base), and I'm trying to download
> the package R Commander. I thought I had already done this (both from
> the web and from within R) but it doesn't seem to be working - it's
> not there as a "search()" reveals.

You need to load it (with the Package Manager) as well as download it, but
that isn't the only isuue

>However, there are plenty of files
> on my system linked with Rcmdr - located in
> HD>Library>Frameworks>R.framework>Versions>2.1.1>Resources>Library>Rcmdr.
> Is it simply in the wrong location to use it? The other possibility is
> that I keep getting a tcltk error whenever I try to load up the
> package from the Package Manager from within R - and when I try to
> upload the tcltk package, this also gives the same error [1].

Yes, Rcmdr needs the tcltk package, so this would explain the problem. The
error message below suggests that Tcl/Tk is not on your system.

  I also
> get a "Couldn't launch application" error whenever I try to launch the
> X11.app.

Both for this and for working out why Tcl/Tk isn't installed you might be
better off trying R-sig-mac rather than r-help

 	-thomas