[R] how to test poisson distribution

Achim Zeileis Achim.Zeileis at wu-wien.ac.at
Wed Oct 19 19:31:26 CEST 2005

On Wed, 19 Oct 2005 10:18:02 -0700 Berton Gunter wrote:

> To be pedantic (I'm feeling cranky today):
>
> One can never test "whether the data follow ["data" is plural] a
> Poisson distribution" -- only whether there is sufficient evidence to
> cast that assumption into doubt. Perhaps a better shorthand is
> "whether the data are consistent with Poisonness" . This correctly
> leaves open the possibility that the data are consistent with lots of
> other distribution-nesses, too. I welcome alternatives, perhaps
> privately to reduce the list noise level.

...now that Berton mentioned `checking distribution-nesses': the
function distplot() in the package vcd implements various plots for
distribution-nesses that can be used for graphical checking. Ord_plot()
is made for a similar purpose.
Finally, there is also a function goodfit() that computes
goodness-of-fit tests for such hypotheses.

All three functions are written following Chapter 2 `Fitting and
Graphing Discrete Distributions' in Michael Friendly's book `Visualizing
Categorical Data'.

hth,